Current:Home > MyNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Capitatum
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
FinLogic FinLogic Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 09:10:20
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (173)
Related
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- Former White House press secretary Jen Psaki writes about her years in government in ‘Say More’
- NFL Sunday Ticket streaming problems? You're not alone, as fans grumble to YouTube
- Israel expands ground assault into Gaza as fears rise over airstrikes near crowded hospitals
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Federal judge reimposes limited gag order in Donald Trump’s 2020 election interference case
- Derrick Henry trade landing spots: Ravens, Browns among top options if Titans move RB
- Flu game coming? Chiefs star QB Patrick Mahomes will play against Broncos with illness
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- The Nightmare Before Christmas Turns 30
Ranking
- 'Stranger Things' prequel 'The First Shadow' is headed to Broadway
- College football Week 9 grades: NC State coach Dave Doeren urges Steve Smith to pucker up
- A former British cyberespionage agency employee gets life in prison for stabbing an American spy
- Coach hired, team still required: Soccer’s status in the Marshall Islands is a work in progress
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- 32 things we learned in NFL Week 8: Shifting landscape ahead of trade deadline
- A ‘whole way of life’ at risk as warming waters change Maine's lobster fishing
- Busted boats, stronger storms: Florida fishers face warming waters
Recommendation
US Open player compensation rises to a record $65 million, with singles champs getting $3.6 million
Russia’s envoy uses the stage at a military forum in China to accuse the US of fueling tensions
College football Week 9 grades: NC State coach Dave Doeren urges Steve Smith to pucker up
Ukrainian officials say Russian shelling killed a 91-year-old woman in a ‘terrifying night’
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Three decades later, gynecologist is accused of using own sperm to inseminate patient
No candy for you. Some towns ban older kids from trick-or-treating on Halloween
Ice Hockey Player Adam Johnson Dead at 29 After Freak Accident